10 Practices to Stay Healthy at Work
Michael KeaneHeadquartersJune 22, 2017 at 8:28 pm
Staying healthy benefits you in many ways: fewer missed work days, greater productivity, and less stress. Staying healthy is good for your pockets too, in the form of lower health care costs and health insurance premiums.
So when you’re in close quarters all day, how can you stay healthy? Here are 10 practices to staying healthy at work:
- Wash your hands often. Hand-washing is the number one way you can prevent yourself from getting sick. Although it may seem obvious, many do not take it as seriously as they should. Always wash your hands before you eat, after using the restroom, and after sneezing or coughing.
- Keep your workspace clean. The average desk harbors hundreds times more bacteria than a toilet seat. Keep your work area neat and organized. Tidy up at the end of each day. Keep sanitizing wipes and spray at your desk and wipe down the surfaces often.
- Drink more water. Staying well-hydrated is crucial to your productivity, energy levels and overall health. Water helps you stay alert and refreshed, and promotes clear thinking.
- Keep hand sanitizer at your desk. It is best to wash your hands, but there are times when you are unable to step away to wash your hands. Keep hand sanitizer at your desk in cases when you sneeze, cough, or cant get to the bathroom to wash your hands.
- Avoid other who are not feeling well or exhibit symptoms of illness. Whenever possible, avoid close interactions with others who may be sick. Wash hands after spending time at or near the work space of someone who is sick, sneezing or coughing.
- Eat well including light, healthy lunches. Plan out your meals for the week, including what you will eat for lunch. Take time the night before to pack a healthy lunch. Including lean proteins, salad or fresh veggies, and fresh fruit for lasting energy with no afternoon slump.
- Take breaks and get out in the sun and fresh air. Make sure to get your daily dose of vitamin D by getting outdoors every day. Invigorate yourself by going outside and taking a brisk walk or calm yourself from a hectic day by getting out in surrounding yourself by nature.
- Eat snacks throughout the day vs. heavy mid-day meals. For optimum helath and energy, make sure to keep healthy snacks at your desk that you can munch on when hunger strikes. FORGO THE VENDING MACHINE!!!
- Limit caffine intake. Try to reduce your intake to one cup each morning to avoid the caffine crash later on. You can also greatly reduce calories and sugar intake by drinking your coffee without cream or sugar.
- Manage stress properly. Most workers live in a fast-paced life that can feel hectic at times. To be effective and to work healthy, you should try to learn to properly manage your stress levels. Make sure to take care of yourself and maintain a healthy balance or work and life.
I hope these practices help you to stay happy, healthy, and productive at work. What are some ways you stay healthy at work? Share your ideas with the team!
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.